Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tent Warmth
19-01-12, 02:37 PM,
Tent Warmth
With the Frostbite coming up in 4 weeks and the long range forecast definitely does not look warm this has me thinking about a warm tent is a happy paddler.

How do people keep the humble abodes warm in the winter months?
(and cold nights at other times of the year)
19-01-12, 03:10 PM,
RE: Tent Warmth
Vapalux pressure lamp gives off enough heat for me,if I feel any colder I just get in the bag.
19-01-12, 03:17 PM,
Sun gas tent heater, and alcohol.
19-01-12, 03:18 PM,
Well if i manage to wangle the time off work i will be bringing the bell tent with the frontier stove fixed up inside .. plenty of logs and warming food Campfire
YOU DONT NEED EYES TO SEE, YOU NEED VISION
19-01-12, 04:10 PM,
Frontier stove on its way so I'll have to let you know! Campfire joy Campfire shiver Cheers

Nige

[Image: forumbanner.gif]
19-01-12, 07:46 PM,
Ahh glad they'll be a few Bell tents kicking about, Anna has decided we need one to replace the Khyam awning so i can see a few in the canvas so to speakSpy duck

Andy
[Image: OutnAbout1.jpg]

'I started out with nothing and I reckon I've still got most of it left!'
19-01-12, 07:51 PM,
For warmth you cannot better a hat, scarf, gloves and hot water bottle
Lady J-D
Up the creek without a paddle....
20-01-12, 10:32 AM,
(19-01-12, 07:46 PM)out n about Wrote:  Ahh glad they'll be a few Bell tents kicking about, Anna has decided we need one to replace the Khyam awning so i can see a few in the canvas so to speakSpy duck

Andy

CANVAS ! CANVAS ! You will be having Duluth Packs next, joy Hi Andy.

(19-01-12, 07:51 PM)Mrs Jammy-Dodger Wrote:  For warmth you cannot better a hat, scarf, gloves and hot water bottle

And A WARM Sir J; Surely Anne ??

Happy Paddling All

Bill was ( Canalvoyageur )
[Image: WildBill2.jpg]

21-01-12, 06:22 PM,
(20-01-12, 10:32 AM)Canalvoyageur Wrote:  
(19-01-12, 07:46 PM)out n about Wrote:  Ahh glad they'll be a few Bell tents kicking about, Anna has decided we need one to replace the Khyam awning so i can see a few in the canvas so to speakSpy duck

Andy

CANVAS ! CANVAS ! You will be having Duluth Packs next, joy Hi Andy.

(19-01-12, 07:51 PM)Mrs Jammy-Dodger Wrote:  For warmth you cannot better a hat, scarf, gloves and hot water bottle

And A WARM Sir J; Surely Anne ??

Happy Paddling All

Bill was ( Canalvoyageur )

Bill you'll always be Canalvoyageur to me and everyone here, canoe or no canoe and there is absoloutly NO chance of me having Du**th packsscare

Andy

[Image: OutnAbout1.jpg]

'I started out with nothing and I reckon I've still got most of it left!'
22-01-12, 11:21 AM,
(19-01-12, 02:37 PM)Jamatrad Wrote:  How do people keep the humble abodes warm in the winter months?

As Marcus says generally a parafin/petrol lantern will provide a suprising amount of heat, but for that sauna experience some form of wood burning stove will keep you toasty in the coldest of weather, however you have to be careful not to set your tent on fire...Exclamation Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers
Red.
Carry your friends, wherever you go..!
Canoe Cheshire
22-01-12, 12:34 PM,
(22-01-12, 11:21 AM)redframe Wrote:  
(19-01-12, 02:37 PM)Jamatrad Wrote:  How do people keep the humble abodes warm in the winter months?

As Marcus says generally a parafin/petrol lantern will provide a suprising amount of heat, but for that sauna experience some form of wood burning stove will keep you toasty in the coldest of weather, however you have to be careful not to set your tent on fire...Exclamation Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers
Red.

Or fill it full of smoke Campfire
22-01-12, 03:15 PM,
(21-01-12, 06:22 PM)out n about Wrote:  ..... and there is absolutely NO chance of me having Du**th packsscare

Andy

But they do burn quite nicely, especially when soaked in methylated spirit!

Devil

Biff
'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.'
29-01-12, 01:03 AM,
Woohoo, my tent warmth system arrived the other day, a somewhat belated Cristmas prezie! Smile A Frontier Stove (read Mick Finns Review), been hankering after one for ages, and now I have one of my very own! joy

Today (Sat) before the on-set of the cold and nasty weather that's been promised we had to get the tent up to decide where the stove would actually go, before we cut a hole in the top!

[Image: front001.jpg]
Decided best place is in the centre leaving room for beds either side and enough room in the front to sit round/cook.

[Image: front002.jpg]
Proper heat resistant thingy mi jig in place.

[Image: front003.jpg]
Test burn...Well I had to didn't I?

Looking forward to using it anger now! February cold-spell huh...Bring it on!! Campfire

Nige.

29-01-12, 10:30 AM,
I generally just wear a hat and a pair of gloves or sleep next to the camp fire.

I don't use proper tents very often. When I do I use a candle lantern. Light it 20 mins before going to bed and it takes the chill off.

You have to be careful with any heating system in tens that there is decent ventilation. Every year a couple of people don't wake up due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
[Image: FKforumbanner-1.jpg]
29-01-12, 01:40 PM,
Wayne, love your idea of camping, but in a field (campsite) in Norfolk in mid Feb I wanted something a little more comforting! Wink

But it wasn't just brought for the heat, I'll be knocking up some tasty nosh on it too. Seems a little more versatile than a single burner gas hob with gas freezing up all the time!

My home made baker tent has plenty of ventilation trust me! shiver

Nige

Wilderness Canoe